Monday, September 13, 2010

Why yoga?

"Royal Dancer" pose...someday, I'll be able to do both hands on my ankle. And pigs will fly. 
1. Because you never know when you'll need to do this. 
2.  I can have a killer workout and feel sore without really ever getting out of breath or disgustingly sweaty. 
3. I can do it alone or with others, here, there, and everywhere (in a box, with a fox, in a house, with a mouse, on a boat, with a goat, in the dark, on a train, in the rain...)
4. Cost of yoga equipment =  $10. Benefits of doing regular exercise = more energy, flexibility, muscle tone...broken record, I know, but that whole "eat well and exercise" thing isn't that far out.

Of course, I'm not very orthodox in my yoga. I mean, playing swing music and dancing in the middle of an ashtanga vinyasa is hardly clearing your mind. The focus on coordinating breathing and movement has been helpful, and really, it's just more fun to work out this way. 

No comments: