Sunday, November 28, 2010

Pastiche


Recently, I've really felt the truth of the words, "What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun". It's that sort of postmodern silence; the realization that everything we write is really just a parody, or at best a rearranging of what's already been said. But combined with the challenge of proclaiming to the next generation the glorious works of our God, it makes sense. The story repeats because there is really only one story, conceived with the creation of the world. Let's be storytellers, my friends.

3 comments:

Michael Nawrot said...

This reminds me of when I was writing my St. Jerome document study. Looking at the dates for my sources, these huge, complex, deep explorations of history, I found that not one was written later than 1932. It made me think "Gee, why even bother, it's all been done before."

Kelsey Sturm said...

I find it's helpful to remind myself that it's probably been done before for a reason...makes whatever I'm doing seem less futile. ;)

Stephen said...

Spot on.