Saturday, April 10, 2010

Exerpt from another essay and eating


" Imagism’s minimalist style as a genre particularly epitomizes reader response, forcing the reader to think about what the laconic words invoke. Because these words carry significance that varies dramatically reader to reader, imagist poetry becomes a relatively simple way to illustrate these sometimes confusing post-structuralist concepts. 
As a literary genre, Imagism has its origins in early 20th century France and England. Desiring to rebel against the grandiloquent writing of the Victorians, poets like Ezra Pound sought to employ the imagination of the reader in their writing. By intentionally using what seems a bare minimum of words, the mind is invoked to step in and fill in the gaps in the writing. Rather than painting an intricate mental picture for the reader, the imagist writing presents the reader with a faint outline of a scene, inviting them to bring their own meaning and interpretation to the art. "

This is my favorite section from my longest essay, mainly because it's all my own writing rather than quoting and explaining  theorists.  It seems like this time of year, people on the floor are either working or sleeping. Personally, I wish I could combine them...then I might get more rest. But to stay true to my title: I am about to engage in the ancient collegial tradition of Ramen noodles (not even, these are the generic, mushroom-flavored "Mr. Noodles" brand). I find that with olive oil and herbs, even instant noodles taste alright. When I get back to Seattle, I'll have posts with thought again. For now, this is a place where my writing doesn't have to be entirely coherent.  
(P.S. click on the comic...it's trippy). 

2 comments:

Stephen said...

imagine seems somewhat like impressionisms.

Kelsey Sturm said...

Somewhat...imagism came shortly after impressionism historically (ie. the latter was more 1880s-on, whereas imagism was more turn of the century). Both had modernist tendencies, though.