Saturday, July 4, 2009

Reflecting on the blessings of being from "the land of liberty"

Don't misunderstand me, I am aware of America's faults. Having lived nearly a third of my life off my native soil has given me a unique view of my country's impact on the world, for good and for ill. The whole of western civilization has much room to improve. That being said, I'm proud to be an American; to bear the name of a country that has struggled for independence from its very beginning. I'm glad to have absorbed that passion for efficiency and quality, for welcoming people from every nation and becoming one people from many. Yes, I'm British and German/French as far as roots go, but it would never occur to me to call myself any of those. I'm an American, free and brave. As a woman, I can decide what to do with my life. I can be educated, work, and live on my own without fear. I will not be forced into an arranged marriage. I have the freedom to go to church where I choose without persecution (going to China showed me just how beautiful and delicate this freedom is). Praise God for America! Mock my country if you will, but my national pride remains. I'll keep my citizenship, thank you.

No comments: