Thursday, July 2, 2009

20 songs that always make me smile...

Everyone's got them; that song that gets blasted when it plays on the radio, the album that gets listened to on repeat endlessly. So here is a non-exhaustive list of some of my favorites ( in no particular order):

1. "When I Fall in Love"-Nat King Cole (actually, any of his songs do the trick)

2. "Three Little Birds" -Bob Marley (yeah, it's a stoner song. But it's not too far from Luke 12:22-30....)

3. "Here Comes The Sun" -The Beatles (most Beatles songs work too)

4."If I Had a Million Dollars"- Barenaked Ladies (couldn't find a good version of the full song, but this was funny)

5."Think"-Aretha Franklin ( a shower song if I've ever heard one)

6."Your Smiling Face" -James Taylor (needs no explaination)

7. "Le Cygne" ( The Swan)- Camille Saint-Saƫns (as played by Yo-yo Ma. Anything with a cello just melts my heart...it's so lovely.)

8. "Carolina in My Mind" -Alison Krauss (If more country artists sounded like this, the world would be a better place. She's what makes bluegrass palateble. )

9." I'll Have to Say I Love You in a Song" -Jim Croce (music has a way of making hard things easier to say...couldn't find his original, so pick a cover, any cover.)

10. "The 59th Street Bridge Song"-Simon & Garfunkel (makes me want to dance in the street and dress like a hippie. )

11. "Geek in the Pink"- Jason Mraz (this version is almost better than the album one...either way it's a fun one.)

12. "I Saw the Light" -David Crowder Band (reminds me of singing gospel music down south.)

13. "Turn Me On"-Norah Jones (Love her voice. Can't emphasize that enough.)

14. "What a Wonderful World" -Louis Armstrong (how can you not smile? )

15."Hit the Road Jack"-Ray Charles ( a great dancing song.)

16." 19-2000 (Soulchild Remix)"-Gorillaz (I have my brothers to thank for this one. Who doesn't like giant moose?)

17."Just the Two of Us"- Will Smith (Gotta love a father/son song. )

18. "We Will Rock You" -Queen (it's a guilty pleasure band. I love their vocals and the beats rock. )

19. "Thriller" -Michael Jackson (and no, this isn't just because he's recently desceased.)

20. "Variations"-Andrew Lloyd Webber (sadly, this version is both too slow and bad sound quality...but it's a great song, and there's a cello. 'Nuff said.)


2 comments:

Michael Nawrot said...

I LOVE Geek in the Pink! I love it so much that I performed it for my second term jury at school this spring. Someone has video, somewhere, but I don't.

Overall, good taste in music, I must say :)

Kelsey Sturm said...

Yeah, the more I listen to Jason Mraz, the more I wonder what took me so long to discover his music. It's a shame he's so existential; I love his work.