Wednesday, September 30, 2009

On editing and the curious choir conundrum

This morning, I sat through a lecture given by a woman who is one of the top 5 editors in Canada. (which is apparently quite the accomplishment...) She had lots of helpful advice about jobs, but one thing I remember her mentioning was how a good editor knows when to change things and when to let them be; clearly it requires knowing what and who you are working with. (like there...I just ended a sentence with a preposition.) Not actually grammatically incorrect, though widely considered to be, we use things like this in speech all the time.

On a different note, it's curious to me how in choir practice, I can hit a high "a" with relative ease, but when practicing with smaller groups, I can hardly hit a 4 notes below that. It probably has a lot to do with how much more I warm up with the full choir...but it still seems odd.

2 comments:

Michael Nawrot said...

Make sure you ALWAYS warm up thoroughly before singing. Do some abdominal breathing to establish the feel, do some onsets, and some agility in your middle range.
Don't attempt anything like a high A until you're absolutely comfortable with your level of preparedness, lest you damage your instrument.

Kelsey Sturm said...

Thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to implement those next time I practice.