Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Judge not, that you not be judged. For with the judgement that you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure that you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye. -Matthew 7:1-2

As my days are currently filled with work that is rather brainless, though certainly requiring a level of attention, my mind is prone to wander. Tending towards observation, and spending hours making tidy houses into immaculate ones, I notice things. In a harmless way, it is quite interesting to see what one can learn about a person from their house and its contents. Most of our clients are very liberal politically, relatively healthy eaters, meticulous with their yards but poor gardeners, decorate in an artistic but not bohemian way, and have more cats than children (though usually counting their cats AS children). It is exceedingly easy for the imagination to jump from observation to judgement; often I have to remind myself of this passage. Nowhere in scripture am I given the right to judge these people that I know nothing about and criticize them. But it's such a fine line for my fantastical and seemingly tireless mind, and takes a lot of effort not to cross. So I have a tendency to make up stories for each of the houses I clean instead of thinking about the people who actually live there. Needless to say, with how much I love a good mystery, if I let myself imagine that I'm looking for clues, the workday goes much faster. Sometimes, I wonder what goes through my coworker's minds...I imagine it's less trite than mine. It is rather amusing, as I get to know them better, I'm realizing how quiet I can seem. While sometimes, it is amusing to watch them become slightly uncomfortable when I've been silent staring out the window for some time. I suppose if you're not wired that way, it would be hard to understand that quiet doesn't always equal sullen. But usually, I'm just thinking about how cool something looks, or intrigued by some curious thing I've seen. 
(In retrospect, stream of consciousness employed in this blog post is less than logical. Oh well).

No comments: