Sunday, May 16, 2010

To market, to market...

Growing up in a ministry family means that Sunday is usually the longest workday of the week, and Mars Hill has been no exception. So with limited cars (read "one car"), there's plenty of time to kill between services while waiting for everyone else. One benefit to attending the downtown campus has been the unique urban flavor of both the community and the congregation. I've really enjoyed getting to explore the Belltown area on foot between services. One of my most frequented spots (and perhaps the most touristy/best people-watching place) is Pike Place Market. Part enormous farmers market and part tourist trap, it's a glorious, grungy mix of shops and street entertainers, full of sights, sounds and smells. People gape at the infamous gum wall, take pictures and wait in ungodly long lines at the original Starbucks (though there's another rather old and equally interesting one a block away). Host to a myriad of festivals in the warm weather, the market recently featured a flower fair on Mother's Day weekend, and a wine and cheese sampling fest from farmers/growers across the state. Made me wish I could legally drink in this country. ;) Today, for the first time, I got to take 3 people there and show them around. It was funny, I still feel like such a newcomer myself. Guess I just fit in rather well...what a gift from God.

3 comments:

Matthew Pope said...

You're very right. Pike Place (and the surrounding area) is really neat. Have you come across the Starbucks with the pedestrian "drive-through" window yet?

Lucie said...

i envy you...i have wished to wander seattle for awhile now.

Kelsey Sturm said...

No, I haven't! I haven't really been in other areas of the city too extensively, though.
And Lucie, feel free to come visit and I'll gladly wander with you. =D